Design Principles / Project 1: Self-Portrait

26/09/2022 - 11/10/2022 / Week 5 - Week 7

Kim Min Ah / 0356145

Design Principles  / Creative Media / Taylor's Design School


CLASSES

Week 5 (26/09/2022)
We went through our mindmaps and received guidance from Ms. Jinchi for further processing.

Week 6 (04/10/2022)
Received feedback from Ms. Jinchi on the rough sketches.

Week 7 (11/10/2022)
Received feedback from Ms. Jinchi on the progress.


LECTURE


Self-Portrait

A Self-Portrait is a self-representation in the forms of drawing, painting, sculpture or design.

Self Portraits include how a person sees him/herself, one's feelings and how he/she wants to be seen by others. It's not a matter of creating a realistic image of oneself, it's more about self-exploration.






Figure 1.1.1 "Ziqian Liu", Pinterest

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/633387437624474/






Figure 1.1.2 "Brain Vu's fantastical...", Pinterest

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/589830882461833095/




INSTRUCTIONS




Figure 1.1.3 Design Principles Task Instruction


Project 1 - Self Portrait
 
Create a mindmap about myself to boost ideas for the self-portrait project.

Week 4 (20/09/2022)




Figure 1.1.4
 mindmap (24/09/2022)


In some cases, I personally believe what people like also can define who they are. Thus, have created a mindmap based on things I love.




FEEDBACK 
Week 5 (26/09/2022)

I was considering creating a self-portrait containing most elements on the mind map. However, I had feedback that having most of the elements on one self-portrait would be too crowded, and it could be better to stick with one aspect or choose three aspects at the most.


Week 5 (26/09/2022)


References





Figure 1.1.5 "I Create Imaginary Tiny Worlds...", Pinterest

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/444941638196693805/





Figure 1.1.6 "Rise and Shine", Pinterest

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/751538256576649362/






Figure 1.1.7  "Plant-Based Food Magazine Cover.", Pinterest

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/315252042678189858/




Progress

I decided to stick with the food aspects of my mind map. 




Figure 1.1.8  rough sketch 1


The design principle of "emphasis" was applied to this sketch. My face is in the middle and surrounded by my favourite foods. It naturally implies my love for food.






Figure 1.1.9  rough sketch 2

The design principle of "Harmony & Unity" was applied. I'm fishing tapioca pearls in the "food world". The mountains are tacos and sandwiches, bushes are french fries, pebbles are taro balls, decks are noodles and the river is milk tea. By placing myself in this imaginary space, this design shows how food takes a huge part of my life.




FEEDBACK 
Week 6 (04/10/2022)

Make sure to describe the design principles used for each sketch. Find some more related references. The second sketch has more potential but requires more exploration.




Week 6 (04/10/2022)

Progress


  


Figure 2.1.1 sketch in progress


FEEDBACK Week 7 (11/10/2022)

The water can be shifted down a bit.
Replace the tapioca with salmon sushi, Some pearls on the deck, and noodles as the fishing rod (Refer to the foods on the mind map)

Pay attention to the little details. The illustration has to be in A4 size.



Week 7 (11/10/2022)

Progress




Figure 2.1.2 sketch in progress


Based on the feedback I've received, the size of the artwork has been adjusted to A4
. Some tapioca pearls were replaced with sushi rolls. Some details were added to food elements. 

During the progress, I found that the position of "me" fishing in the middle disturbs the entire balance of the artwork. Thus, I decided to change the composition.


Final Submission for Self-Portrait




Figure 2.1.3 Final Submission for Self-Portrait


The design principle of "Harmony & Unity" was applied to the Self-Portrait project. To me, food is not just something that fills my stomach or my appetite. I believe that every food has its own history and memories behind it. Thus, this artwork was created to show my love and desire for food. It's a captured moment of myself being in an imaginary "food world". A girl behind tacos and a sandwich, which represents me is fishing sushi by using a string of noodles. French fires as bushes, tapioca pearls as pebbles, sushis as fishes, tacos and a sandwich as mountains.


REFLECTION

Experience

While working on my Self-portrait project, I learned that Self-portrait is not only about creating a realistic image of myself, but it is about how I see myself, and how other people see me and even includes how I would like to be seen by others.

Observation

I found that I truly enjoyed the progress of this project from creating a mind map to finalizing the artwork. Not only because I could express myself through this project, but also because it gave me some time to think about and understand myself.

Findings

I observed that I gained a better sense of composition in drawings through the whole journey of learning design principles, and it made the artwork more aesthetic.


























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography / Task 2 / 2(A): Key Artwork + 2(B): Collateral

Advanced Typography / Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

Minor Project