Design Principles / Project 2: Sense of Place

18/10/2022 - 01/11/2022 / Week 8 - Week 10

Kim Min Ah / 0356145

Design Principles  / Creative Media / Taylor's Design School


CLASSES

Week 8 (18/10/2022)
Independent Learning Week

Week 9 (25/10/2022)
Received feedback on Project 2 sketches from Ms. Jin Chi.

Week 10 (01/11/2022)
Received feedback on Project 2 progress from Ms. Jin Chi.


LECTURE

Pre-recorded Lecture ( Sense of Place) 

The main role of designers is to solve problems with effective visual communication.

For designers, observations help them recognize problems to fix and get effective ideas to solve them.

Observing is also an active act of obtaining information through the senses and subject matters in natural settings.



INSTRUCTIONS




Figure 1.1.1 Design Principles Task Instruction


Project 2 - Sense of Place

Create an artwork that shows a "sense of place" by applying one of the design principles.


Week 8 (18/10/2022)


Reference





Figure 1.1.3 Willows Beach, Victoria, BC, Canada by Ross Dunn, Google Map

https://goo.gl/maps/LvGGkFGw2VvF8pzXA


I used to live on an Island. When I was depressed or going through something in my teenage years, I took a bus to Willows Beach by myself. That place comforted me a lot, I was able to calm myself down. Also, I have so many good memories with my friends at that beach. Usually, beaches always remind me of the colour blue and blue represents something cold. However, to me, the blue of Willows beach is always warm like yellow. Something I could never forget.






Figure 1.1.1 "Oceans" by Ceyda Alasal, Pinterest

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/716213146998385401/






Figure 1.1.2 illustration by Marina Ester Castaldo, Pinterest

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/40462096649505581/

https://marinaestercastaldo.com/






Figure 1.1.3 "Cypress Cay Pontoon..." Pinterest

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/Aavu-_CVGXbMID0tHFj1YHOjW_XYXft7H6t_2RZ6FVxYSB1-XPzkjOA/




Sketch 1

Comfort






Figure 1.1.3 sketch 1


Design principles of "Balance" was applied to this illustration. The hands are embracing the eye that is full of ocean water which implies the whole ocean is wiping the tears of the eye off. Just like how Willows Beach did to me. The scenery of this artwork connotes comforting memories of mine at Willows Beach. 


FEEDBACK (WEEK 9)

Merge the hands with the clouds and sky.
Draw some figures(people) that are actually related to my personal memories.
Create another version without hands around the eye.

Reorganize the order of references and sketches.

More description for the sketch.




Sketch 2

Adventure




Figure 1.1.4 "Escaped en Uruguay...", Pinterest

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/819866307179799652/


The library is one of the places I enjoy going to. It's not only because it provides a quiet environment to study and read, but also because seeing people being immersed in something always motivates me.







Figure 1.1.5
 sketch 2


Design principles of "Emphasis" has applied to this work. A library is a mellow ocean that is full of learning and knowledge. A lot of people come to the library due to their own reasons, but mainly to improve something inside them. In this illustration, the people in the library are reading and studying on floating boats. It connotes that they are sailing themselves around to determine and steady their further journey. At the end of their sail, they will definitely find gold.



FEEDBACK WEEK 9

The boats could be replaced with books.
The floor of the library could be created in a form
of a boat.



Week 10 (01/11/2022)


Progress




Figure 1.1.6 updated version of sketch 2




Figure 1.1.7 updated version 2 of sketch 2





Figure 1.1.8 updated version 2 of sketch 2



FEEDBACK WEEK 10

The original idea(people on individual boats) is stronger, but make sure the boats don’t look like other objects like bowls.




Final Submission of Project 2





Figure 1.1.9 Final submission of Project 2


"Library" has been chosen as a place for project 2. It is one of the places I enjoy going to. It's not only because it provides a quiet environment to study and read, but also because seeing people being immersed in something always motivates me. To me, libraries are like the mid-path that most people go through during their journeys.

Design principles of "Emphasis" has applied to this work. A library is a mellow ocean that is full of learning and knowledge. All of the people in the library have various interests, different backgrounds and values in their lives, but with the same goal: moving forward to lead their own journeys. In this illustration, the people in the library are reading and studying on floating boats. It connotes that they are sailing themselves around to determine and steady their further journeys. At the end of their sail, they will definitely find gold.



REFLECTION


Experience

Project 2 was not mainly about determining a place realistically but expressing the feeling or atmosphere of a place. I’m usually more focused on drawing human figures when it comes to illustrations, therefore this project was a sort of new challenge for me. It was interesting since it must include elements that imply the feeling or atmosphere of a place.

Observation

I found that I enjoyed researching and sketching ideas. However, I also observed that I tend to stay in my regular drawing style and colour palettes which is good to have my own style, but possibly resist further improvement at the same time. Thus, I tried to research various drawing styles and apply one of them to my work for self-improvement purposes.

Findings

I realized that I had a bit of a hard time coming up with the best composition. I think I need more practice in creating designs or illustrations in various compositions.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Advanced Typography / Task 2 / 2(A): Key Artwork + 2(B): Collateral

Advanced Typography / Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

Minor Project